Now you do not need to own a MacBook or an iPhone in order to use iCloud. You can access Apple’s cloud storage from a Windows computer as well. All you need is a working internet connection, an Apple Id and a password. If at some point in the past, you had owned any Apple devices, then this should not be a problem. If you do not want to download the app on your Windows computer due to storage issues, you can use the iCloud service from your internet browser. The app offers a better user experience than the web version. The web version can be slightly buggy, and not all iCloud apps may be functional.
How to Download / How to Use iCloud for Windows?
Apple has released an official iCloud app for windows, so you do not have to download it from any risky third party websites. Visit Apple’s iCloud for windows webpage to download the app to your windows pc. Remember only computers running Windows 7 and up can download and use iCloud.
Here is the Link @@ https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204283
Once you click the download button on the page, the iCloudsetup.exe file will be downloaded. Open the file to complete the installation process. Once you open the file, a dialogue box will open up stating all the terms and conditions. Agree to install iCloud. After the installation is complete, hit the finish and restart your computer.
Also, Check – iCloud Login
After your computer reboots, a window will open up asking for your account details. Fill in the details to sign in to your iCloud account. Next, you will be presented with the iCloud settings. It includes the iCloud drive, photos, mail, contacts, calendar, and bookmarks. The iCloud storage is just like any other cloud storage. For photos, you get extra options to choose the photos you want to sync and download to your pc. If you want you can opt for a photostream here. It will be convenient for you to sync the mail contacts calendar if you have outlook seven installed on your computer. Lastly, bookmarks let you sync all the bookmarks from your Apple device browsers.
You need to follow a few simple steps to view the iCloud photos on your windows pc. Here in this article, a step by step guide has been presented to help you with the setup.
- First, you go to the start menu. Here you will find all the recently installed software on your pc, and amongst them, you will find the iCloud drive, iCloud photos, and mail, contacts calendar, etc.
- Click on the iCloud photos. This will open up the iCloud photos folder containing three subfolders – download, uploads, and shared.
- On the upper left corner, you will find the option to download photos and videos. Clicking on it will open a dialogue box, where you can choose which folder and images you want to download to your computer.
- Select the folders that you wish to download and wait.
- After the download is complete, you can view all the photos neatly sorted by years.
There have been complaints about the windows iCloud photos application for not being stable and for messing up the album structure. Downloading the photos in this way will not retain the original album structure or the original quality of the image. To preserve the quality and the album structure, it is better to download the photos via an iCloud website or one by one. You also need a secure internet connection and a lot of storage space to download the photos to your computer. Storage issues and internet issues will lead you to receive an error issue while downloading.
How To Manage The iCloud Information?
Apple offers you free 5GB iCloud storage initially which you can increase later on if you need more storage by paying for it. You can keep a check on all the things that are being backed up on iCloud and even choose the ones you want to backup in order to save storage space.
- To see a breakdown of all the files and folders that are currently saved in your iCloud, go to iCloud on windows.
If you are running short of storage space, then it is time you delete old photos, emails, and documents that you do not need. You can also delete the backup of devices that you no longer need.
- Go to iCloud and open storage.
- Scroll down and open back up.
- You will see a list of devices that have been backed up. Choose the device backup that you want to erase.
It will help you save space if you delete files from your iCloud drive as well.
- Navigate to the iCloud Drive folder on your computer.
- If you cannot find the folder use the windows explorer.
- From the folder, select and delete the files.
If you want to delete emails, here is how to do it from your windows pc –
- Open Microsoft Outlook.
- Select and delete the unimportant emails.
You can also update your account details from click manage Apple ID.
How To Update The Version Of iCloud For Windows:
Apple releases new updates for iCloud frequently. These new releases fix bugs and other problems, hence why it is important to update iCloud. To update your iCloud version follow these steps –
- Go to the Apple software update.
- Select edit.
- Select preferences.
Based on your preferences, be it weekly or monthly, you will receive update notifications.
Enhance The iCloud Storage:
If you use it wisely then 5GB of storage space can be enough for you, but if you think it is not enough and you need more storage to save your photos and videos, and then you have to upgrade. Upgrading requires you to pay for the extra storage space. You can check out the iCloud storage plans from the Storage section in iCloud. Buying 500GB or 1TB storage will allow sharing the cloud storage space with your family members or friends.